What is Floating??
Float Nation (2015)
A Documentary about Floating!Watch This Movie Now
- Floating was invented by scientist John C. Lilly in 1954. Lilly was testing premises based on the elimination of external stimuli and the residual human effects. What Lilly discovered instead was that this experience was not only profoundly relaxing, but also incredibly helpful in producing profound experiences and states of significant physical recovery.
- As the studies evolved, the terminology changed from “sensory deprivation” to “”Restricted Environmental Stimulation Therapy” (REST). REST has been proven to reduce stress hormones, lowering blood pressure, managing chronic pain, and enhancing mental and creative processes.
- Floating is now one of the fastest growing wellness trends in the world!
Why does floating work?
- The vast majority of the human mental and physical workload is devoted to dealing with the effects of stimulation to ones response system, namely environmental stimulation (gravity, light, sound, temperature, etc). We intake over 4.5million bits of information per second and process just under 2000! This overload has contributed to an increasing trend of neurological and physical imbalance and disease.
- The elimination of stimuli combined with the lesser gravity environment is proven to dramatically counteract these ill effects.
- The “Zero Gravity” environment forces the body into a vascular-dilatory and parasympathetic response phase. This drops muscle tension, heart rate and blood pressure, cortisol production and respiratory rate.
- The body’s chemistry changes into a natural mechanism for healing and regeneration.
- This is a state of being that can otherwise only be achieved through very deep focused meditation
- Harmful stress hormones like epinephrine and cortisol have been clinically proven to be lowered, while endorphin production such as dopamine, serotonin, tryptiphans and tryptamines tend to rise significantly.
The Mind and Floating
- Brainwave activity lowers into the Theta state or the “Dream State” similar to what is experienced right before sleep.
- The Theta state can be maintained for longer periods, allowing for further creativity and profound states of consciousness.
- This minimal environment also allows one to process past traumas in a healthy way. By simply relaxing, trauma survivors can achieve life changing mental relief.